The Rehabilitation Physiotherapy Assistant program at Westervelt College provides technical training for individuals looking for a rewarding career working in the field of physiotherapy.
Rehabilitation Physiotherapy Assistants work in a variety of settings including private practices, hospitals, continuing or long-term care facilities, rehabilitation facilities, schools and private homes. Rehabilitation Physiotherapy Assistants help clients to transfer, stand, walk and exercise and may be on their feet for long periods of time.
Duties include assisting the physiotherapists, administering therapeutic modalities, supervising exercises and thorough daily cleaning of the Physiotherapy room, equipment and treatment areas as well as covering front desk, general administrative and clerical support.
After successful completion of the in-class and lab portion of the program, students will be able to apply their knowledge and skills during their externship.
Areas of employment for Rehabilitation Physiotherapy Assistants are:
- Private Practices
- Continuing or Long-term Care Facilities
- Rehabilitation Facilities
- Physiotherapy Clinics
- Private Homes
- OSSD or equivalent successful completion of the qualifying entrance exam (available to mature students 18 years or older)
- Government Issued Photo ID
- Privacy of Personal Information (PIPEDA)
- Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS)
- Completion of the Westervelt College Health Form