Westervelt College gives you the hands-on instruction you need from experienced instructors to succeed as a Medical Laboratory Technician/Assistant in the private or public sector.
We aim to:
- Prepare students for the competitive medical laboratory field
- Prepare students for entry-level employment in hospital laboratories, private laboratories, private clinics and research
- Align our curriculum to both the provincial and national certification bodies by aligning our objectives to the accreditation criteria
- Prepare students to write the provincial exam (OSMT) and national exam (CSMLS)
- Encourage the students to become passionate about their profession by continuing education and taking an active role in the CSMLS and OSMT
Medical Laboratory Assistant & Technician Industry Associations
You will receive both theoretical and practical training from Medical Laboratory Assistant Technicians and Medical Laboratory Technologists who bring years of expertise to each component of this program.
You will also benefit from a 6-week clinical placement that will add to your skill, confidence, and experience and fully prepare you for your future. From here, you will be eligible to write the provincial exam through the Ontario Society of Medical Technologists (OSMT) and the national exam through the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Ethics & Legislation
- Vital Signs
- Administrative Skills
- Specimen Collection and Processing
- Urinalysis/Clinical Chemistry
- Applied or Clinical Chemistry for Medical Labs
- Equipment use & Maintenance
- Computer Applications
- Lab Math
- First Aid/CPR
- Mastering the Attitude of Success (TPI MAS)
- Enriched Academy
Graduates of this program will be prepared to be employed in hospitals, clinics, research, and private laboratories upon passing the provincial OSMT and national CSMLS examinations.
Areas of employment include but are not limited to:
- Medical Laboratories
- Research Laboratories
- Doctor's Offices
- Blood Donor Testing Centres
- Veterinary Laboratories
Tuition & Fees
Medical Laboratory Assistant / Technician Diploma Program tuition fees for Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents.
*This is the cost of the textbooks that the students will own. Students will have access to other textbooks that they can use and return to the college at no cost to the student at the end of each term.
Uniforms are included in the fees. Financial assistance is available to students who qualify. For assistance, please contact our Admissions team for more information.